Extraordinary Performance With a Lot of Heart
The Truven Health 50
Top Cardiovascular Hospitals is an annual quantitative study that identifies the nation's best providers
of cardiovascular service. Selected from more than 1,000 U.S. hospitals, these celebrated winners provide
outstanding care and set new standards in excellence for the healthcare industry. Hospitals do not
apply, and winners do not pay to market this honor.
This study is conducted separately from our 100 Top Hospitals study, but is based on many of the same
principles of performance.
2014 50 Top Cardiovascular Award Winners Announced Nov. 4, 2013
As always, our latest study provided key industry insights, including the fact that if all
cardiovascular providers performed at the level of this year's winners (when compared to a peer group):
- 8,600 additional lives could be saved
- $1 billion could be saved
- 3,200 additional bypass and angioplasty patients could be complication-free
We based this analysis on Medicare patients; if the same standards were applied to all inpatients,
the impact would be even greater.
In addition, the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals also:
- Spend approximately $2,000 less per bypass surgery case
- Have significantly better 30-day survival rates
- Maintain lower 30-day readmission rates for heart attack and heart failure patients
- Release bypass patients nearly a day sooner than their peers
Watch for our 2015 study release, November 10, 2014.